James is an experienced marketing leader, strategist, and executive with roles targeting both B2C and B2B customers.
Electro Scientific Industries, Portland, Oregon
Chief Marketing Officer, July 2014 to present
- Responsible for global product, market, and strategy
Covario Corporation, San Diego, California
Advisory Chief Marketing Officer, July 2012 to present
- Advised board and CEO on global marketing strategy
- Streamlined and refocused marketing team toward digital engagement
Open Text Corporation, Waterloo, Ontario, Canada
Chief Marketing Officer, July 2009 to September 2012
James was the senior executive responsible for developing and maintaining a comprehensive program for this $1.2B company’s long-range expansion. This includes corporate-wide responsibilities for Global Markets, Strategic Marketing, Demand Generation, Brand Management, Corporate M&A Strategy, Strategic Alliances and Partners, Field Enablement, Corporate Marketing, Customer Experience, Press and Analyst Relations plus Social Media Marketing, and Marketing Communications.
- Increased Revenues from $600M to $1.2B in 3 years
- Demand Generation and Pipeline increased 140%
- Delivered single Brand Management for 27 isolated brands
- Acquired and operated four $200M+ software and SaaS organizations
- Establish OpenText as SAP’s largest revenue-generating partner
- Built marketing partnerships with Hewlett-Packard, Microsoft, Oracle
- Increased market share by 13%, ahead of IBM and EMC
- Drove an increase share price from $35.00 to $72.00 in two years
- Industry Marketing delivered more than 25% of company revenues
Established strategic relationships with the Commonwealth of Nations, the State Department under Hillary Clinton, the International Monetary Fund, the Import/Export Bank, and the World Bank.
McCann WorldGroup, San Francisco & Seattle
Vice President, B2B Strategy & Analytics, March 2007 to July 2009
Market strategist and strategy/analytics practice leader for McCann Relationship Marketing (MRM), one of the premier agencies of the Interpublic Group (NASDAQ: IPG)
- Responsible for large brand global audience insights, campaign strategy, planning, targeting, analytics, and integrated marketing services to mid-market
- Identify and prioritize product requirements within a strategic framework to address core market drivers for global 2000 brands
- Built marketing strategies for Kaiser Permanente, General Motors, Microsoft, HP
- Drove audience analytics and direct outcome analysis through a 40-analyst consulting unit and 12-strategist team
ACD Systems International, Victoria, British Columbia
Vice President, Marketing, March 2005-January 2007
Corporate Marketing strategist and executive leader for publicly traded online e-commerce firm targeting consumers and small businesses.
- Devised “inside-out” remote communications strategy
- Provided detailed usage profiles of more than 1 million customers
- Created integrated lead generation plans and tactics
- 40% increase in revenue year over year
- Built new and effective OEM channels
Marketing Strategy Consultant
Marketing Strategist, December 2001- March 2005
International strategy consultant for large and medium brands headquartered in London, Stockholm, San Francisco, and New York.
- Drove plans and tactics to apply fresh thinking to challenging brand, sales, marketing, positioning, and messaging problems for brand challenges in international growth
- Devised a fundamental shift in strategy for clients for retargeting, revenue generation, and an eventual M&A exit
- Created a strategy process analysis and value proposition positioning evolution for clients to drive to category leader recognition and $500M in revenues
Usha Communications Technology, Portland, Oregon
Executive Vice President, Global Marketing and Alliances, October 1998- November 2001
Developed and delivered market entry strategies worldwide, increasing local awareness, creating consistent products, programs and tactics, and led a global team for fast-growth and profitable telecom business support services vendor.
- Optimized customer experience processes for corporate customers
- Drove alliances to 50% revenue contribution of $15mm in three years
- Protected multimillion-dollar customer contracts through negotiations
- Managed 75-strong globally distributed marketing and alliances team
- Delivered multimillion-dollar partner sales
General Manager, April 1996- June 1998
General Manager of the integration and services divisions for Atlas Telecom, a $125M provider of communications products for large telecommunications carriers worldwide.
Vice President, September 1989-April 1996
James led field marketing and services organizations from $1M in 1989 to nearly $100M in 1996.
Lotus Development Corporation (IBM)
General Manager, April 1984-August 1989
Responsible for product requirements. General Manager of Lotus Federal Government Operations in Washington, DC.
International Business Machines Corporation (IBM)
Technical Staff, Market Support Manager, May 1981-April 1984
Boston University: Masters of Science, International Marketing Management
State University of New York: Bachelor’s Degree, Computer Science
Portland State University: Lecturer in the Master’s for International Management
Selected Publications and Presentations
Enterprise 2.0, ERP Integration with Collaboration, Boston
The Future of Marketing 2: The Personalization Revolution, Online
MarketingWorld, Aligning CMO to CEO Goals, New Orleans
Information Trends Conference, Amsterdam, Netherlands
BCC Forum 3GSM, Cannes, France
Electronic Messaging Association, Los Angeles
IMC Journal, International Edition, London
COMDEX, Las Vegas
Information Center Management Forum, Anaheim
Computers in Industrial Engineering, Orlando
Dean’s Advisory Board, College of Arts and Sciences, Portland State University
Foundation Board, Portland State University
Advisory Board, CMO Council of North America
Corporate Advisory Board, Covario, Inc.
Non-Profit Board Director, Portland Community ToolBank